Monday, March 26, 2012

The Incredible Egg Day

I am so excited to be sharing this exciting day with you!  Last Friday we had our Egg Day.  I set aside 1 special day each year (usually around Spring Break time - just before Easter) to engage my students in math and science activities centered around raw and hard-boiled Eggs.


Here are some pictures of what our day was like:


The night before… I set up the tables and groups.  I have everything color coordinated, labeled and ready to go.  I love seeing the students' faces when they walk in, in the morning… it's the same every year "ohh ahh…"  Amazing what a little colored paper on the desks can do:)
As soon as they arrived, we jumped right in to our discoveries.  I wish I would have had this year's Egg Day on video.  My students were amazing and so insightful in our discussions of why things were happening or for what reasons.  They made great predictions and drew conclusions that blew me away.  This day is what teaching is all about - a way for students to pull in everything they know and have been learning!

We measured circumferences and attempted to clean soda stained eggs with fluoride toothpaste.  I challenged the groups to see who could get their egg the cleanest.  I was amazed to see all the cooperative learning taking place and turn taking.

We balanced eggs to see which was heavier (raw or hard-boiled) and then we did a little test to see which egg would spin longer.



At the end, they completed a reflection sheet to process all the things they had done and learned.


In the afternoon we continued Egg Day with centers and Egg-cercises.

Egg Day wasn't complete until we made our delicious "chocolate" nests.

I put a 66 page packet together for anyone who is interested in having their own special Egg Day in their classroom.  I promise you - it will be an awesome and unforgettable learning experience for your students!  Go ahead, click on the picture below and check it out at my Teacher's Notebook Store.


Here is a sneak peak at what is included in the packet:


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE your blog, so much that I gave you an award! Head over and check it out!

    Primary Punch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deana - Thanks so much:) I've enjoyed visiting your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing idea!! I plan to use this in my classroom next Friday! The perfect activity just before Easter! Thank you!! I'm going to stop by your store later today and order!

    ReplyDelete